The Healthy Heart Challenge is a crash course on healthy habits and lifestyle behaviors that can be easily implemented to improve future heart health. The goal of this challenge is to improve heart health utilizing basic fundamental health behaviors over the next 4 weeks.
Each week we will present a new challenge with more information and tips for success. Enjoy your journey through “Heart Health 101”.
Week 1 - STEP Challenge
Let's STEP your way to a healthy heart.
Pick a daily goal of either 6,000, 8,000, or 10,000 steps per day, 5 days out of the week (weekends included). Moderate physical activity such as walking has been shown to reduce health risk factors such as lowering cholesterol, regulating blood pressure, obesity, and mental health. For more information: Walking: Your steps to health
- Use your phone to track your steps by utilizing the “Health” app or download the free “Pedometer” app from the app store.
- Use a smartwatch or standard pedometer to track your steps.
- Utilize the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Try to park farther away when parking at work or the grocery store.
- Take a small 5-10 minute walk during lunch.